I've been investigating the Intel ICH5R SATA controller for awhile and
am having a hard time trying to decide which RAID implementation to go
with. Technically this controller is not a RAID controller, but rather
uses the BIOS for software RAID support. I could bypass the BIOS's
notions of RAID go with ATARAID, but it appears to be deprecated in 2.6
kernels. The other choice is devmapper which works with the BIOS, but it
is far from stable according to the author.

This is for an existing server of which I have few details so far. All I
know is that it has Redhat on it and will be a complete wipe and start
from scratch job. I should be getting ssh access to it later today and
can poke around further then.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch