On Monday 06 March 2006 19:25, Alberto Hernando wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've read that kaffe is a kind of java machine. I don't know whether it can
> be considered a good substitute for sun's java software.

Kaffe is for people who are offended by Sun's java licence, like Debian (-;

> Is anybody here
> using kaffe? In my debian box I've just upgraded to openoffice.org-2 and it
> depends on kaffe, so I thought that perhaps I could try it.

The main reason it depends on kaffe, is Debian won't include Sun's java
without a debian-free licence, so they use kaffe instead.

> I won't be a
> programmer, I just want to run some java plugin for firefox and a certain
> java program (cgoban2, if there is some go player here). So what? Should I
> try kaffe?

It couldn't hurt. It should provide most, if not all the functionality of
Sun's java, without Sun's restrictive licence. I haven't used it myself, I
don't mind Sun's licence. Also, GCC does provide some java functionality with
gcj. Not sure how that would fit into the picture, though.

Cheers,

        John Gay