On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:49:06AM -0600, John Gnew wrote:
> When I am in Firefox and click a sendto e-mail link, nothing
> happens in Thunderbird or anywhere else.
>
> When  I am  in Thunderbird  and  click a  web link,  nothing
> happens in Firefox.
>
> Since both of these products are configured and installed in
> a similar fashion, I am probably missing something simple to
> make this work correctly.

---end quoted text--

This is what I did to make these two talk:

A] To use any mailer with firefox:

1. type  "about:config" (without  the quotation marks)  in the
URL field in firefox to open the firefox configuration pag   e

2. right click -> new -> string

3. type  "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", and  for  the
   value use "/patht/to/thunderbird",

B] To have Forefox work from Thunderbird links:

1.  Ref: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/linuxurls.html

2.  Additional configuration is necessary to have web url's in
    Thunderbird  link back  to  Firefox.  It requires  editing
    the  prefs.js file  in your  Thunderbird profile  (look in
    ~/.mozilla-thunderbird, and drill down to find this file).

3.  After making  certain Thunderbird is not  running, add the
    line Codei, to the file and save:

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");

4.  After  restarting Thunderbird,  urls in  html mail  should
    bring up the link in Firefox.

HTH

Bish