I have a perfectly happy DNS working on my LAN with BIND 9.3.x (.0, .1,
and .2 have all worked equally well).  Local names resolve correctly,
and external addresses look up and return the correct names as well.

So why is it that when I install any flavor of 2.6.16, it stops working?
Suddenly it can't look up any hosts.  It thinks for 15-20 seconds, then
gives up and says "host not found" or somesuch.

Nothing else changes - I boot up with 2.6.15.whatever, and it works; I
reboot with 2.6.16.whatever, and it gives errors.  Any ideas?

I'm on gcc 3.4.6, if that makes a difference.  named starts chrooted
to /home/named; I can send (privately) the specific config files if
anybody thinks you can help but it shouldn't matter since those same
config files work fine with the older kernel.

Frustrated  in Windy Wyoming,
--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY