On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 14:06 -0600, Archaic wrote:
> I've found a few different things that allow you to put application
> icons on the desktop. However, this isn't what I want. I want to put
> files/dirs on my desktop. It's the one sinful little desire ;) where I
> actually like the flash and dash of a gui. If I have a pdf in my
> homedir, it's nice to click on it to read it as opposed to opening a
> filesystem browser and clicking on it or opening a terminal and typing.

You could install Gnome :)

Nautilus doesn't display $HOME on the desktop, but it does display
$HOME/Desktop, which is close enough for me. Better, even, since $HOME
tends to be a lot more cluttered than I want my desktop to be. I tend to
use it to keep stuff temporarily until I do something with them, e.g
folders of photos dragged off my camera, or downloaded links dragged out
of Firefox.

Simon.