Per someone's recommendations last week I thought I'd give the x.org
modular system another try with the latest'n'greatest... unfortunately
7.0-specific documentation hasn't been updated* but there are a lot of
changes, and the "everything" folder where you can download the whole
enchilada doesn't actually have everything required by the modules.

Using the BLFS book and the build scripts at x.org as a guide, I worked
up a build order for the 7.1 modules that was going along pretty well
until libICE demanded xtrans, and other packages complained about the
lack of libX11... which indeed is not in the "everything" directory.

Has anyone else tried 7.1 yet?  Obviously I can pull needed packages
from other directories on the ftp site, but I'm worried about mixing 7.0
and earlier versions of stuff (such as libX11) with the ones built
specifically for 7.1.

* No complaints to the blfs team!  Some people have real lives and can't
spend every waking moment updating books every time a new release shows
up.  I mean the x.org docs themselves refer to build scripts that
attempt to download 7.0 stuff, so are useless for 7.1.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY