To ensure that I always have a working platform while I try out an
upgrade, I install each new system to a prefix numbered for that version
- /usr/gnome2.10, /usr/X11R6, etc.  Then I can install the upgrade
to /usr/gnome2.14, /usr/X11R7.1, whatever and not lose the working files
while I experiment with the new toys.  I can switch back and forth
simply by relinking /usr/gnome to /usr/gnome2.10 or /usr/gnome2.14 as
needed.  I'm sure most of y'all do the same thing.

Anyway, I was installing the latest gnome stuff this weekend and I kept
building, installing, realizing I forgot to include some configura
options, uninstalling, and rebuilding... and at some point I realized I
had forgotten to relink /usr/gnome from 2.10 to 2.14.  The result was I
had mistakenly uninstalled half a dozen gnome 2.10 libraries from what
was supposed to be my "safe" working copy of gnome.

I managed to dig up the older source files and rebuild what was missing,
but now for some reason some - but not all - icons are missing from
Evolution 2.4.0.  Specifically anything related to an attachment just
shows as a little gray rectangle with a red "X" in the middle of it.
Also the folder icon itself that should appear next to the name of each
folder appears as that same gray rectangle.

Since I don't know the name of the icon I don't know what file(s) to
look for and therefore which package is still incomplete.  I'm afraid to
rebuild the whole thing from scratch because if I do anything the
slightest bit differently, I could further ruin the functionality I do
have.  I guess I could back up the whole /usr/gnome2.10 tree, but it
would be so much easier if somebody here could do my thinking for me and
happens to know what package can provide those missing icons without
rebuilding the whole universe.

pbs, belatedly realizing I forgot to make a tarball of the whole
gnome2.10 tree once I got it working in February

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY