rblythe wrote these words on 06/04/06 12:33 CST:

> Yes I am behind a router.  when I issue the dnsdomainname command the
> output is:
> localdomain
>
> I never did put much thought on how this name is registered on a LAN.  I
> guess now I have more to research and learn about.

There really isn't much to learn about as name resolution is fairly
simple. :-)

You can do it all through /etc/hosts if you like. And BTW, there
doesn't have to be any "registering" of a domain name on a LAN. Simply
identifying in /etc/hosts is enough. Though you could run a DNS server
on your LAN and have that local domain name "registered", but then
all the hosts on the LAN would have to use that DNS server in order
to resolve using the domain name.

In a small LAN of say 10 or less devices, I find it easiest to work
with hard-coded IP addresses and names using hosts files (additionally,
LMHOSTS files on Windows PCs). That way you don't need a DNS server
and you can still resolve using names. For you, if you set your hosts
file up similar to the example I showed earlier:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.x.xxx   computer.rblythe.prv   rblythe

Then your computer would be known as rblythe and computer.rblythe.prv
to any other devices on the LAN that you identify these same IP
addesses and names in whatever name/address resolving mechanism it
uses.

And you could've used computer.rblythe.prv in the NSS tests and it
would have been fine. BTW, the 'computer' in the name is just an
example, and it should be the same as the non-fully qualfied name
next to it (aliases). Though it doesn't have to be. Example

192.168.0.200   computer1 randy rrm rrmlinux randy.mcmurchy.prv

Now, your computer would know itself by:

localhost
computer1
randy
rrm
rrmlinux
randy.mcmurchy.prv

And any other device on your network would also know your computer
as those names if you identified them in the host resolving
mechanism of the other devices.

Everything clear as mud?  :-)

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
12:39:00 up 23 days, 4:39, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.12, 0.09