checking for freetype/ftnames.h... no
everything else on freetype being yes.

For your information. I've installed wine 0.9.12 on a blfs 6.1.
I have just the same message in my configure.log. Everything runs fine though.

install FontForge ...

Did that too.

> However, I saw from the build logs that
there were many missing glyphs when the ../tools/sfnt2fnt program was run.

I don't have build logs around anymore. Can't comment on this.

In the past, I was able to copy my windows fonts to the ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/ directory and get wine running. This directory is now empty and copying windows fonts there still does not make the fonts in wine applications (e.g. winecfg) visible.

I have fonts in /opt/wine/share/wine/fonts. They were built from the wine package. Didn't do anything special with configure. I have a "config.status: creating fonts/Makefile" line in configure.log, so I suppose there was a fonts dir in the build source.

Hope this helps, Leo.