On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 10:37 -0500, Fierst, Timothy M wrote:
> I'm running the following configuration:
> binutils - 2.16.1
> gcc - 3.4.4
> glibc - 2.3.5
> kernel - debian 2.6.8
> on a m68k mvme177 box.
>
> My inetd (from busybox) keeps failing on a getservbyname call.  I have
> all
> my executables _statically_ linked.

> > cat /etc/services
>
> telnet 23/tcp
>
> > cat /etc/inetd.conf
>
> telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd
>

> I have the following line in my etc/protocols file:
>
> tcp     6       TCP             # transmission control protocol
>
> > cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> Is this the proper mailing list to post to with this type of question?
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> -Tim

your /etc/protocols is not "rich" enough
dns is udp AFAIK

ip      0       IP      # internet protocol, pseudo protocol number
icmp    1       ICMP    # internet control message protocol
igmp    2       IGMP    # internet group multicast protocol
ggp     3       GGP     # gateway-gateway protocol
tcp     6       TCP     # transmission control protocol
pup     12      PUP     # PARC universal packet protocol
udp     17      UDP     # user datagram protocol
idp     22      IDP     # WhatsThis?
raw     255     RAW     # RAW IP interface

and you need that also in /etc/services

domain           53/tcp    Domain Name Server
domain           53/udp    Domain Name Server

CUH Rainer Peter Feller