Ken Moffat wrote:

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 07:42:10PM -0400, rblythe wrote:

Anyway, I have not installed these two packages yet (working my way up to it), but I want to know if installing Postfix may wreck my current e-mail set-up.

Undoubtedly it _may_ wreck your current mail setup.  You haven't
really given enough detail for me to understand how your current
setup works, but do you actually need postfix ?

I've never used thunderbird, but if you are sending mail through
comcast's mail server, I imagine thunderbird doesn't need a local
mail server.  Running postfix is very convenient, particularly if
you have multiple machines, but for a single box without a static
IP or its own proper domain it may be unnecessary.

I run postfix on my desktop boxes and 'server' so that the output
of cron jobs (backups, disk checks, etc) all ends up in my mailbox
on the server.  But as far as outgoing mail is concerned, mine now
all goes through my isp's mail server.  And I get external mail by
pulling it from my isp's POP server with fetchmail.

Ken
Sorry fo being so vague. This is really only an experiment to increase my understanding. I will try to make some sense this time:

LFS/BLFS build (Blytheworks) - No e-mail is currently set-up. I have not got that far in the compilation process yet (this is a learn as I go proposition). I was reading the BLFS web pages on the various type of servers and thought postfix might be cool to use once I did a little more research and tried to understand it better. Because my host distro is all gui based, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to compiling software from scratch and providing the necessary configuration info.

This was basically a thought to do something different then what I am used to, and try to learn something along the way.

Host System Setup (Mepis) - I use Thunderbird to get my e-mail from Comcast without a problem. It is stored on a separate partition that I can also access from Suse 10.0 and Windows Xp (my machine is a multi-boot set-up). In the year I have been running this way, I have not had any problems. Mepis is Debian based (I have the non-Ubuntu version) and it is okay when Debian is not changing the repositories. Because of that, I was driven once again to try and successfully build a LFS/BLFS system from scratch. So far I have been successful and I understand what is going on finally. I want to make the complete transition if my own LFS/BLFS system for the freedom I believe that I have because of it.

I think my desire may be true overkill for my situation where Blytheworks is concerned. What I would like to try is this (please provide alternate solutions if I am over-doing it):

I am really interested in the various servers and security applications right now. For the mail, I wanted to install Postfix and configure it so that it would get the e-mail from the Comcast server and download it to a separate folder on my vfat partition. I woud then configure Thunderbird to get the e-mail from the Postfix downloaded area so that I could read, reply and compose new e-mails. My hope is that while using Thunderbird, my e-mail would then be stored on the original Thunderbird vfat partition so that if by chance I am booted into one of the other systems, I can still read, reply, and compose e-mail messages without messing something up.

My other reason for wanting Postfix (or any MTA) is that right now, if I want to compose and e-mail, I have to boot back into a system with and e-mail program on it instead of staying in my build environment. I noticed that one of the optional packages where Lynx (my web browser of choice until I build Firefox) is an MTA. My thinking is that with an MTA, if I run into a compile problem or get confused about something while learning more about BLFS, I could just compose and e-mail to blfs-support and go on to something else until I receive a reply. My hope also is that if this can be done, then I could download the e-mail responses as outlined above and keep the integrity of my existing Thunderbird e-mail box on a separate partition.

Ultimately, because this is a single user machine, I may not really need any kind of server. I am only looking at this as a possible solution, but again even though I have used Linux for close to two years, I am as green as they come with this type of things (having a do-it-all distro is not as beneficial as one might think, especially with a tinkerer like me).

Plus in my research about Postfix, I have seen some interesting things (spamassassin, virus protection) that I would like to learn how to use as well.

If you have any other possible solutions please let me know. I am not in a hurry. I am taking my time with this one.

Thanks,

rblythe