On 6/10/06, Peter B. Steiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I installed some decorative fonts from Windows into my TrueType font
folder, and alphabetically the first one is "1st Grader", a childlike
crayon scrawl... and suddenly the fonts on every X application that does
not specify its own fonts uses that scrawl by default.  I removed my
entire /usr/X11R7/share/X11/app-defaults folder to make sure nothing in
X itself was causing this, then I logged on with my test account (which
has an empty $HOME folder), and still the scrawl was there even with no
personalized .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf, or .gconfd folders present.  Only
when I removed gnome-settings-daemon from .xinitrc did the fonts revert
to something readable, so I know gnome itself is somehow causing this.

But where?  When I go into the font selection screen
(gnome-font-properties) there is nothing about non-Gnome application
fonts such as XTerm, and none of the font selections there refer to any
of my TrueType decorative fonts.  In any case, since the problem occurs
even when I wipe all .g* folders out of $HOME, it's clearly a default
coming from somewhere in the /usr/gnome2 tree.  Needless to say, I never
set up any configuration in the default folders there for the 1st-grader
font.

I'm having a hard time understanding this situation, so the best I can
do here is point you to some material that could help.

First, there are no Gnome fonts.  There are Fontconfig fonts which are
used by the GTK+ toolkit.  Those are the nicely rendered TrueType
ones.  Unfortunately, wiping any .g* folder won't affect your
situation since Fontconfig policy isn't set there.  Also, no setting
in X11/share/app-defaults will affect this either.

Please read the page below in the svn book.  Hopefully, it will shed
some light on the situation.  Possibly it will convince you to
segregate your fonts.  Have a look at the fontconfig page, too.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/fontconfig.html

--
Dan