Ken Moffat wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:58:50PM -0600, Jason Aeschilman wrote:
I'm using a kernel module that sends warn (KERN_WARN ) log level messages to the console but I want them to only go to the logs. I would like only kernel messages that are log level error or higher to go to the console. So I added the following to the top of the default LFS /etc/syslog.conf file:

*.error /dev/console

However, this does not prevent the warning messages from going to the console.
See man 8 klogd.  I do the following on all my builds, which is
close to what you wish to achieve, but best to double-check the
level against the log page:

sed -i 's/\(loadproc klogd\)/\1 -c 4/' /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd

Ken
Thanks, I'll try that. Does anyone know why putting settings like I did in /etc/syslog.conf is not doing what I expect? How do the popular distros handle this?