On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:32:50PM +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:

> You don't need to make those three symbolic links. Because you've
> installed xorg into /usr, the binaries will be in /usr/bin, the libs in
> /usr/lib (so no need to change /etc/ld.so.conf) and the headers are in
> /usr/include. For you /usr/X11R6 doesn't exist. If you did force those
> links to be made they would overwrite the files you have installed with
> broke symbolic links.
>
> >As my fonts seem to be in /usr/lib/X11/fonts I was able to modify this one
> >so that fc-cache and fc-list work and I now can see some fonts from the
> >fc-list command.
>
> Cool. That's good.
>
> >  Thus I'm wondering what is the default path?  And what links do I need
> >  to create?
>
> Sounds to me like you're done. Do you have a problem? Something giving
> you an error message?
No problem, I was just trying to get the fc-list command to work and when it
didn't I looked closer at the book.  I followed the links and didn't understand
the usage of ../ to define the ln target.  It confused my understanding of
paths and pointing links.  I understand now that had I installed in the
standard prefix, ../X11R6 would be /usr/X11R6.  It only remains the font links.
 My fc-list works after employing the TTF link however, the OTF dir doesn't
exist.  There's no mention in the book that fonts/OTF only exists under
specific circumstances. My font directory is populated like:

100dpi
75dpi
CID
cyrillic
encodings
local
misc
TTF
Type1
util

As far as errors, if I bring up X and shut it down, I do get the following font
error.  As I haven't been able to ask a sighted person to look, I don't know if
my basic X session is displaying a font.

Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Gena

> Andy
> --
---end quoted text---