I found out that I need hplip in order for the system to see the scanner portion of my HP 1410v PSC.
The shell script (called hplip) that comes with the source code works.

When I moved to /etc/rc.d/init.d and created a symlink (ln -s ../init.d/hplip S23hplip) in rc3.d I get an error stating that I should not be reading an error and it points out that the error comes from S23hplip (sorry about not having the exact syntax of the error, I did not write it down and I am e-mailing from my host system).

After viewing the hplip script, I realized that it does not look like the blfs bootscripts at all. I believe this is my problem. I have never written scripts like these before, but my thinking is this: I am going to use the cups bootscript as a template to create a blfs compatible hplip bootscript.

My questions are: Has anyone had success with this before? Is there another method that someone has done to get the result of having hplip start before CUPS (it must start before cups)?

Currently, after I boot the system, I have to issue these two commands as root:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/hplip start     # this starts hsiod and hpssd
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart  # this makes cups aware of hplip

Printing an scanning then function as normal.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

rblythe