Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 6/28/06, Vladimir A. Pavlov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> First, thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try. But I have a few
>> questions.
>>
>> On, Wednesday 28 June 2006 10:19 Stef Bon wrote:
>> > You'll have to install libdrm and Mesa, and install the nvidia driver
>> > from source over it.
>>
>> 1. Can you tell me please what libdrm is needed for? It seems I
>> shouldn't build it since I don't use kernel DRM, i.e. I turn off the
>> option when make menuconfig.
>
> Right. Since the NVIDIA implementation (and the ATI one) provide their
> own kernel modules to access the hardware, kernel drm and libdrm
> aren't used. It won't hurt to install it, though. It just won't be
> used by Mesa or X when you're using the NVIDIA kernel module and GL.
> Still, I would build it because there might be some code in Mesa or X
> that isn't built if libdrm isn't there. This is just a guess. I
> actually don't know all the gory details.

I think(I'm not sure about that..) that libdrm is required by Mesa

>> 2. Do I correctly understand that "install the nvidia driver _from
>> source_" means "run sh NVIDIA-SOMESTUFF.sh"? Or should I run "sh
>> NVIDIA-SOMESTUFF.sh --extract-only" and then use the created directory
>> to build/install the driver? In other words NVIDIA recommends the
>> former way so can I use it in this case?
>
> I personally hate those installer scripts and do it by hand.  In other
> words, I use --extract-only and then install what I want.  As I
> understand, though, the nvidia installer will move original files like
> libGL out of the way and not delete them. I think most people do use
> the script.

I'm using the extract method also, it's a LFS system right?!

You're not mentioning the driver (nvidia.ko), and it's in the usr/src/nv
directory. Simply

make install

will compile and install the driver in the

/lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/video

dir.

Futher:

1. you'll have to change driver in xorg.conf too.

2. you can make adjustments in the file os-registry.c to tweak the driver to
your system

3. Read the README in the usr/share/doc dir, it contains a lot of
information how to install. Notice it can use the agp backend provided by
the kernel, or it's own (which is recommended).
A sample file of a xorg.conf file is there too, which may be very helpfull.

I hope it's not that complicated. I've been trying to install the nvidia
driver from source myself and it took a lot of effort.

Stef