Hi, I had a few problems compiling xfsprogs.
First of all, I'm used to compile various programs
as bld user, then installing with a "sudo make install"
But this time, after the previous command I have
find that all the files installed had the ownership
of the bld user.
(This seems strange to me, but can I ask if this is wanted?)
In fact in aclocal.m4 we have:

pkg_user=`id -u`
test -z "$INSTALL_USER" || pkg_user="$INSTALL_USER"
AC_SUBST(pkg_user)

pkg_group=`id -g`
test -z "$INSTALL_GROUP" || pkg_group="$INSTALL_GROUP"
AC_SUBST(pkg_group)

and the same in configure:

pkg_user=`id -u`
    test -z "$INSTALL_USER" || pkg_user="$INSTALL_USER"

pkg_group=`id -g`
    test -z "$INSTALL_GROUP" || pkg_group="$INSTALL_GROUP"

so if we run configure (and in this case the configure
command is inside the main Makefile) like a non-root user
we will have in pkg_user and in INSTALL_USER the id of this
non-root user and the package will be installed with this id.

This seems to be a workaround for this problem:

export INSTALL_USER=root
export INSTALL_GROUP=root
sed -i '/autoconf/d' Makefile
make DEBUG=-DNDEBUG
(...)
unset INSTALL_USER INSTALL_GROUP

About the various libhandle links, they can be
installed also running:

make install-dev

the target is defined in the main Makefile and is used
to install the libhandle symlinks plus other files.
For example in /usr/lib:

libdisk.a    libhandle.la  libxcmd.a  libxlog.a
libhandle.a  libhandle.so  libxfs.a

So, for a complete installation we should run as root:
make install
make install-dev
(unless is preferred to have only the libhandle symlinks)

Finally, the link for the package should be updated with:

http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/xfs/download/previous/cmd_tars/xfsprogs-2.7.11.src.tar.gz

and I've found similar problems installing the attr and
acl packages.

Regards, Alessandro Alocci