On Friday 08 September 2006 17:09, Mark Priestley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:57:02PM +0100, Richard Melville wrote:
> > Please can somebody help.  I've reached the stage of desperation.
> > I've compiled the via drivers and alsa into the kernel and
> > installed the alsa library, plug-ins, utilities and alsa oss.  I've
> > run the speaker-test and played a wav file and everything on the
> > terminal screen looks good.  I have not been able to get any
> > failures, but I still cannot get any sound from the speakers.  I've
> > tested the speakers and cable on another box and they are good.
> > Does anybody know what the problem could be? It must be something
> > simple that's eluding me.
>
> Have you unmuted the speakers?  By default they start out muted, I
> think. You can use alsamixer to unmute them.
>
> Mark

Once I had the similar problem. The following commands are what helped
me.

amixer set PCM unmute
amixer set PCM 26
amixer set Master unmute
amixer set Master 100%

They are nothing special but just are one of the possible
implementations of the ideas suggested in these messages.

--
Nothing but perfection
pv