Hello,

First, I use kde but I might be able to help.

Do you have a menu at all? That is, if you press the "foot" on the toolbar, does it show an empty menu?

If you have at least that much, go over the "desktop-file-utils-0.11" in
the blfs development book. Ensure you have your env variables...
XDG_DATA_DIRS
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

pointing to valid directories and also that they are part of your environment after you log on ( bash ~$ env ).

If you don't have any menu at all, learn which package(s) from gnome
provide the menu structure and rebuild them. In kde the README in each
package describes the contents of the package.

Good Luck,
Shawn