Today on „¡Mythbusters!", Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Sounds like you found the terminal you want, but I just wanted to
> dispell the above myth. In my experience, gtk2 will respect the compose
> button I put in xorg.conf (no AltGr for me). For instance, I sometimes
> have to write Jürg in these emails, and I just did it using my compose
> key that I map with this in xorg.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "MS Keyboard"
>     Driver      "kbd"
>     Option      "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>     Option      "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>     Option      "XkbLayout"     "us"
>     Option      "XkbOptions"    "compose:ralt"
> EndSection

 Wow!  You da man!  In my case, "compose:rmenu" because AltGr is far
too important for me to relegate to Compose, and my current keyboard
has a 'menu' key next to it, where they used to put 'right windows'
(:rwin if you have that).

 I'm still having difficulty with some of the symbols, but the
technique definitely works and I can now type all the Welsh
characters I desire.

> Gtk2 also provides a neat utility if you know the Unicode value of the
> character. Control + Shift + <code>. For instance, ü is Control + Shift
> + <fc>.

 Useful, but never hit any leading zero doing this unless you like
a spurious '(' in front of the symbol.  Works in abiword, but only
if the font supports the glyph (Charis-SIL has just gone down in my
estimation).

 So, consider the 'Gtk2-doesn't-respect-Compose' myth set to rights.
Thanks!

ĸen