On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 06:30 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Only for X, huh? That's unfortunate.

Easily patched, though - one short function checks if a tty is local,
and it's just a matter of adding an extra conditional case. Seems to
work, though my testing is limited to the command line tools that comes
with it.

> Right. I think the idea is to not use pam_console at all anymore. This
> pam module is supposed to be generic enough that any of the distros
> will use it. But I don't think anyone's really using PolicyKit yet.
> You can still use HAL without it as I understand.

Oh, ok - that'd make sense. Pam_console has always been pretty
contentious, and if PolicyKit becomes a standard for all distros, that
should do a good a job as is feasible for now...

As to whether anyone is using it, I think Fedora does as of latest
version, though I could be wrong. Current HAL doesn't require it, but
won't build without explicitly disabling PolicyKit with a configure
flag. It'll be mandatory for the next version of HAL (0.5.9).

Simon.