Richard wrote:
> I built a lfs-6.2 system according to the lfs book
> and have added to it using the instructions in
> the blfs-book-cvs-html-2006-09-02 book. I
> have enabled alsa support in the kernel, which
> is version 2.6.16.27. I have also inluded alsa
> oss emulation both in the kernel and as modules,
> neither approach seemed to help. I did not
> select the deprecated oss sound system in the
> kernel configuration, as explained in the blfs
> book. I believe I have also compiled in the
> kernel alsa support for the sound hardware that
> I have.
>
> I can't seem to get alsa to work at all, for
> example here are the messages I get when I try
> to run alsaconf:

> alsaconf
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 34: which: command not found
> modinfo: could not find module snd
> modinfo: could not find module snd
> modinfo: could not find module snd
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 319: which: command not found
> /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 322: which: command not found
> Error, dialog or whiptail not found.
>
> Is there something else I need to install to use
> alsa? Or have I configured the kernel incorrectly?
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

The problem is likely alsaconf, not your configuration.  I have never
used alsaconf for anything.  I don't find it useful, especially since
you have to have alsa modularized and I like to build it into the kernel
(as you have).  That is why it is telling you it can't find the snd
module.  To see if alsa is working, just try running alsamixer as a
non-root user.  If your devices aren't being created correctly,
alsamixer will tell you.  If alsamixer comes up, unmute the main and pcm
controls (by pressing m) and set a reasonable level (I usually start
around 70%).  Then try to run speaker-test.  If you hear the static,
great, it works.  Otherwise, post back here and we will try to figure
out what is wrong.
Joel