Hey Guys.

I finally got sound to work - and it was a wrong cable.

I pulled apart my case - and re-checked all the cabling, and I had
plugged in the wrong jack (HD audio instead of AC'97).

The plus side is I have learned a lot about linux and sound.

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions from everyone on this mailing list.

Cheers.

On 12/8/06, Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/1/06, jeeva suresh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I have gone through all the steps to try and get alsa working on my
> > computer, and have run upon the following situation.
> >
> > aplay -l reports the correct sound card.
> >
> > I have used both amixer and alsamixer to unmute all my channels, and
> > have gone through and even unmuted only selective channels.
> >
> > The system never complains about anything, but when I run
> > speaker-test, it produces no sound.
> >
> > The output that appears on the console in all these instances looks
> > fine, (no blatant errors) but still sound refuses to come out of the
> > speaker.
> >
> > I have checked all the cables, and the sound is onboard NVIDIA.
>
> Just to ask the stupid questions first. Was the sound working before
> you built LFS? Is it possible to boot into another OS and check that
> things are OK? You're sure all the cables are connected and the
> speakers are powered, etc? (It's happened before)
>
> Next, are you pretty confident that you have all the kernel modules?
> Snoop around in /proc/asound and see if what's in the files like
> cards, devices and modules seems to match your hardware. If you don't
> have a /proc/asound, then this would seem to be a kernel issue.
>
> As root, what's the output of 'amixer info' and 'amixer scontents'?
> You should be able to see what the settings are for your device in a
> decimal and percent number. I'd also check the output of 'amixer
> contents' and make sure that all the settings appear to be reasonable.
> Something like 'Master Playback Switch' could obviously blow the whole
> operation and might be difficult to see in alsamixer.
>
> I hope I don't send you into a black hole with this one. A while ago I
> finally figured out why I could never use my microphone, and the only
> way it happened was I because I was grovelling through
> /etc/asound.state and noticed all these settings I didn't know about.
> One of them was the capture source, and it was set to the wrong thing.
> It seemed to be set correctly in the GUI configurator, but this said
> otherwise.
>
> --
> Dan
> --