On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:25 +0100, Tijnema ! wrote:
> On 3/21/07, dim-skou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've never heard of vnc. It sounds interesting, I'll give it a try
> > I also have Xfree86 at the moment but I plan to migrate to Modular XOrg.
>
> Well, there are three different VNC apps, RealVNC, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> TightVNC.
> I first tried all three to work with Xorg modular system, but they all
> didn't. Then I only had luck with RealVNC with XFree86 source.
> Note that building VNC is really time consuming as it builds the whole
> X server again.
> You're planning on migrating, hmm, what's the reason? think about the
> rule "As long as it's not broken, don't fix it"
> For me I just wasn't be able to install XFree86 because of hell lot of
> errors, seems they probably got fixed up later but I already made my
> choose :)

For me, I've always found x11vnc to work with everything.  It even
worked with my Xorg/Beryl setup...once ;-)

Download from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libvncserver
Install is simple: ./configure && make && make install
Create password like: x11vnc -storepasswd
And then created launcher script:

#!/bin/sh

killall x11vnc &&
x11vnc -display :0 -shared -forever \
-allow <comma,seperated,list,of,ips (workIP mainly)> \
-usepw -logfile ~/.vnc/logfile.log -bg \
-cursor none

This has been pretty rock solid for me.
-Lup