On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:47:38AM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:

> I have  recently set up a  dedicated nagios box and  need to
> get the email notifications working.
>
> What  I  am  looking  for   is  a  send  (or  forward)  only
> mail   server  that   is   sendmail   compatible  (has   the
> /usr/sbin/sendmail link).
>
> I can  always install  postfix or  something else,  but this
> seems to be overkill for the purpose at hand.
>
> I ask for the sendmail part  as most clients I can find that
> are  lightweight as  well (such  as mailx)  try to  use said
> binary to send anything out.
>
> Any suggestions?

---end quoted text---

For a dedicated box with no local MTA, for forwarding mail to
a valid email id through a smarthost, few options are:

a) libesmtp with esmtp wrapper. Symlink /usr/bin/esmtp to
   /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail

b) Use a perl script : sendEmail (linked  on  freshmeat). You
   need to write a wrapper script to mimic  "sendmail -t" and
   place it in /usr/sbin/sendmail such that it uses sendEmail
   to negotiate the mail delivery.

c) Use mutt in command line mode, with  smarthost  defined in
   ~/.muttrc, with  -i (inline) or  -a (attachment) option to
   send the message. You  would  need a  wrapper script to be
   written for the purpose, if you  want "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
   specifically, as in the above case.

Just a few suggestions. There may be more.

Bish