Gaaah.  I got it into my head to separate stuff between system
essentials, which will stay in /usr, and optional components like gnome
which will go in /opt.  So when I set out to build a new lfs/blfs,
that's how I planned it.

My first attempt went poorly as some packages do not have pkg-config
data files (.pc) to inform autoconf where they live.  Because gcc does
not look in /opt/include and /opt/lib by default, many configure scripts
incorrectly reported that some of the libraries I installed to /opt did
not exist (yes, /opt is in /etc/ld.so.conf but that did not help with
locating include files)

Fine, so I resolved to put libraries that do not have pkg-config data
in /usr, and everything else in /opt.  That worked better until I got to
gtk, and that's when things got weird.

The first time, even though fontconfig has a .pc file that correctly
noted it is in /opt, the autoconf script for pango kept looking
for /usr/lib/fontconfig.la .  So I gave up, removed fontconfig
from /opt, and reinstalled it to /usr.  Then I rebuilt gtk... and now
the autoconf script for pango keeps bombing out trying to
locate /opt/lib/fontconfig.la.

I can't win!  I guess I'll have to go back to putting everything in /usr
again, but it's just frustrating.

Oh, the setup... Using the svn as of 20070912, kernel 2.6.22.6, gcc
4.12, binutils 2.17, libtool 1.5.24.  /etc/ld.so.conf contains /opt
and /usr/X11R7/lib in that order.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY