Alan Lord wrote these words on 10/11/07 09:36 CST:

[cc'd to BLFS-Support]

> But I'm really interested in how you (the BLFS contributors) go about
> working out how and where everything goes? Do you set the --prefix
> switch to somewhere like /test/asterisk_build and then look to see what
> went where?

Yes.

> What about the /etc type files which do not seem to be
> affected by the --prefix switch? How do you prevent them from
> contaminating your system when you are just investigating?

Use --sysconfdir=/whatever.

Bottom line is don't build/install the package as the root user
until you're ready for a production installation. That way it is
*impossible* for your system to become contaminated.

Use DESTDIR, or simply use --prefix=/whatever as an unprivileged
user. Most packages do respect --prefix in all instances, including
using /prefix/etc. Most don't (though some do) hard code /etc
into the installation. However, if it does, simply use --sysconfdir.

HTH

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:38:01 up 29 days, 3:36, 1 user, load average: 0.48, 0.23, 0.14