Chris Staub wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Dan McGhee wrote:
>>

>> Well, font problems do have a history of making Firefox choke, so I'm
>> not so sure your "band-aide" wasn't a proper fix.  I don't recall
>> specifically Thunderbird having issues with fonts, but it is usually
>> installed after the problem is found with Firefox.  If installed by the
>> book (short the packaging), then there are only 13 files installed
>> outside of the private directory (/etc/fonts) and docs.  IIRC, the MCPM
>> hint uses a different user for each package.  I'd start by chowning
>> those, 1 by 1 root:root and see if the problem magically disappears.  If
>> my memory of the MCPM hint is incorrect, then please ignore.
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> Firefox and Thunderbird both work fine for me using Package Users -
> Fontconfig is installed as the fontconfig user and I don't have any
> problems. The usual cause for T-Bird or Firefox segfaults is forgetting
> to configure fontconfig to look for the X fonts - either by adding lines
> to /etc/fonts/local.conf to tell it where the fonts are (which is what
> BLFS used to say and what I still do) or making symlinks in
> /usr/share/fonts pointing to the X fonts installation location (as BLFS
> currently says to do). After doing either of these, run fc-cache as root
> and the fonts should be found (add "-v" to see if it actually finds them).

Randy, DJ and Chris--thank you.

One of my wild deductions led me to "try" to install Window Maker
yesterday. I don't remember ever running Thunderbird or Firefox in twm.
Thought that might fix or lead to more clues. It did and my emphasis
shifted towards looking at fonts--as this thread also has seemed to
turn. I re-read " X Window System Componenets" and will today or
tomorrow install the MS fonts.

Window Maker installed fine, but wouldn't start. The laptop acted like
it did when I ran `Xorg -configure` except that it kicked me back to the
terminal with a bunch of error messages. Bad stuff started to happen
when it tried to find "Sans Serif" and "Trebuchet."

Thunderbird, and now Window Maker, report problems with gtk widget
toolkits. So, I'll try this and see what happens. AND recheck my symlinks.

Thanks again.
Dan