On Sunday 17 May 2009 02:29:14 am lux-integ wrote:

> I am using linux-PAM -1.0.2    with a recipe  form  here
> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/PAM_Library
>
> ideas anyone?

it turns out to have been a probblem with PAM  all along.  I
had /etc/pam.d/kdm  (as I had /etc/pam.d/xdm  - I had login in with xdm).
The relevent   file is /etc/pam.d/kde.   I am now able to login   to the kde4
desktop  with the via vga drivers  using  kdm  (as opposed to startx from the
command line).    An example  of the /etc/pam.d/kde  is shown below:-

 [ /etc/pam.d ]# cat kde
 #%PAM-1.0
auth       include     system-auth
account    required    pam_nologin.so
account    include     system-auth
password   include     system-auth
session    optional    pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include     system-auth
session    required    pam_loginuid.so
session    optional    pam_console.so

Hope someone  struggling with kde4( on 64bit builds) will find this of use,

yours sincerely
 lux-integ