Having fought with this for KDE-4.4 for a while, I think that I finally
have if figured out and applying it to GNOME packages solved my GTK app
issues as well.

I have posted a tutorial for KDE-4.4:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Tutorials/D-Bus/Configuration

which is also applicable (KDE-4.4 instructions too) to GNOME, especially
if installed in:

        /opt/gnome

Specifically, the configuration in:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/gnome/GConf.html

is not sufficient.  I would also suggest that it be moved to:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/gnome/pre-install-config.html

There are 4 directories:

        /etc/gnome/2.28.2/dbus-1/session.d
        /etc/gnome/2.28.2/dbus-1/system.d
        /opt/gnome/share/dbus-1/services
        /opt/gnome/share/dbus-1/system-services

that D-Bus needs to find to work correctly -- although I note that the
first one is currently empty on my system, it is a drop in directory and
it must be correctly configured.  These have a direct correspondence to
the KDE-4.4 directories in the tutorial.

Then there is the question of the:

        /opt/gnome/share/share/polkit-1/actions

directory.  On KDE-4.4 this could only be addressed by installing the
contents in:

        /usr/share/share/polkit-1/actions

and KDE packages have a build option to do this.

I have not looked into that for GNOME yet.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch