On 6/6/10, Andrew Benton <b3n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/10 18:51, Carl wrote:
>> [49358.956254] hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>> Error }
>> think there is anything wrong with the hardware as I have Ubuntu
>> installed on a different partition on the same machince and it mounts
>> the drive with no problem.
>
> I would suggest that you start by cutting gnome an hal out of the
> picture by mounting the cdrom with the command.

"hdc"
I think some old IDE cd drives behave that way in recent kernel/udev
This is IDE drive seen as IDE drive in kenel config.
That's ok. I do that too.
I have one IDE dvd drive that behaves with those errors.
I use /etc/hal/fdi/policy/no-fixed-drives.fdi to block hal from mounting it
(seen in hal chapter).

It may be necessary to compare Ubuntu/Lfs kernel config, udev rules, hal stuff.
The answer has eluded me for a very long time.