BP ROV feeds mplayerplug-in xulrunner-1.9.1.11 success
firefox-3.6.source.tar.bz2 - nope

FYI,

I know mplayerplug-in is not in the book,
but I wanted to see the BP oil spill ROV live feeds.
http://www.bp.com/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9034366&contentId=7063636

Xine and/or Xine-plugin could do some of them :)
But a few must be poor feeds and just don't show even when there is
something to see.
The Skandi and Q4000 were the problem streams :(

VLC could show them all, but a pain to install/use and nothing I tried
could produce a functioning browser plugin for vlc :(

MPlayer was a little hard to install.
And mplayerplug-in was even rediculously harder to install.
But after banging it against the wall for 8 hrs, it succumbed to
showing all the ROV feeds :)
... hey, like windows ... except for the tiny gui ...

Xulrunner was a monkeywrench

# Note: The firefox-3.6.source.tar.bz2 piece from blfs dev didn't work
to build mplayerplug-in. It would not need to swap lines idldir and
includetype in libxul.pc since it does not do the includetype thing.
It would still need a link to xpidl in /usr/bin or else mplayerplug-in
configure will fail right away. But alas, no joy.

No joy with blfs dev version - firefox-3.6.source.tar.bz2
mplayerplug-in failed at these messages:
In file included from include/npplat.h:42,
                 from include/pluginbase.h:41,
                 from Source/plugin.h:53,
                 from Source/plugin.cpp:37:
include/npupp.h:62:17: error: jri.h: No such file or directory

# Note: xulrunner-1.9.1.11.source.tar.bz2 succeded mplayerplug-in.

xulrunner
=========
Some broken stuff and the google respondents either had no clue or
would not tell. Or they said "Please don't use mplayerplug-in anymore.
Use gecko-mediaplayer instead. Thank you."
Best clues:
http://lists.cross-lfs.org/pipermail/clfs-support-cross-lfs.org/2008-August/000254.html
(balage)
http://groups.google.com/group/gecko-mediaplayer/browse_thread/thread/a52f7cf4bb00de45

One or two things broken:
1) A link to xpidl is missing.
2) The libxul.pc file may be broken.

Notorious error messages:
1) configure: error: xpidl compiler not found
2) ./Source/nsIScriptableMplayerPlugin.idl:2: can't open included file

These messages did NOT inhibit any function I am aware of
checking for MOZPLUG... no
configure: WARNING: mozilla-plugin not found
checking for MOZPLUG... no
configure: WARNING: firefox-plugin not found
checking for MOZPLUG... no
configure: WARNING: seamonkey-plugin not found
checking for MOZPLUG... no
configure: WARNING: xulrunner-plugin not found

I tried
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.9.1.11/source/xulrunner-1.9.1.11.source.tar.bz2
because that was the closest to a slackbuild that one would think
would work.

It worked.

I did this:

./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  --enable-system-lcms \
  --with-system-bz2 \
  --enable-safe-browsing \
  --enable-image-encoder=all \
  --enable-application=xulrunner \
  --disable-mailnews \
  --disable-crashreporter \
  --disable-installer \
  --disable-updater  \
  --build=lfs \
  --enable-system-sqlite \
  --enable-system-cairo \
  --with-system-jpeg \
  --with-system-nspr \
  --with-system-nss \
  --with-system-png \
  --with-system-zlib \
  --disable-accessibility \
  --disable-gnomevfs \
  --disable-necko-wifi \
  --disable-javaxpcom \
  --disable-tests &&
make &&
make install

# fix 1 or 2 broken things
xulver=$(xulrunner -v 2>&1 | awk '{print $3}') # I guess
xulpc=/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libxul.pc
if [ -d /usr/lib/xulrunner-${xulver} ]; then
  ln -sfv /usr/lib/xulrunner-${xulver}/xpidl /usr/bin
  if [ $(grep -c includetype $xulpc) != "0" ]; then
    cp -v ${xulpc}{,.orig} # optional
    # risky,
    # do not run twice,
    if [ $(grep -c "idldir=.*/\${includetype}" $xulpc) == "0" ]; then
      # swap lines idldir and includetype,
      # then tack "/${includetype}" at end of line idldir
      sed -i -e "/^idldir/{h;d}
                 /^includetype/{p;g;s/$/\/\${includetype}/}
                " /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libxul.pc
    fi
  fi
fi

Bottom line: you'll need links in /usr/bin pointing to the name in the
xulrunner libdir for both of:
xulrunner
xpidl

mplayerplug-in
==============
The only one that worked was
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/mplayerplug-in-daily.tar.gz

I did this:
./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --localstatedir=/var \
            --sysconfdir=/etc \
            --with-mozilla-home=/usr/share/mozilla \
            --enable-wmp \
            --enable-qt \
            --enable-rm \
            --enable-gmp \
            --enable-dvx &&
make &&
make install

# I made links in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins to the names in the (system)
"--with-mozilla-home" directory, e.g., /usr/share/mozilla/plugins

#!/bin/bash
mypwd=$(pwd)
moz_home=/usr/share/mozilla
if [ "$mypwd" != "${HOME}/.mozilla/plugins" ]; then
  cd ${HOME}/.mozilla/plugins || exit
fi
if [ "$moz_home" != "${HOME}/.mozilla" ] && [ -d "$moz_home" ]; then
  echo "In directory: $(pwd)"
  for i in $(ls ${moz_home}/plugins); do
    if [ "${i#mplayerplug-in}" != "$i" ]; then
      ln -sv ${moz_home}/plugins/$i $i
    fi
  done
fi
cd $mypwd

So now, after 3 months and most of the fun is over, I can conveniently
see the BP oil spill ROV live feeds.
I'm not the best one at FHS or sed though, (among other things).

Afterthoughts ...
Xine seems less of a hog than mplayer.
Xine can take a snapshot ...
Snapshots are tricky, if possible, with the others.
Ffmpeg might be thinking of supportig mms://urls someday.

Wait ... that's not TonyBaloney driving an ROV ... ???