On Monday 16 August 2010 12:07:07 Andrew Benton wrote:
> Hello World!
> I read an interesting article about typesetting with Latex so I thought
> I'd try it out. I've spent a few days working on texlive, I can install
> it but it doesn't work. Does anyone know of a guide to installing
> texlive? There's an interesting page in the CBLFS wiki
> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/TeXLive
> but it's a couple of years old and some of the links are dead. So I've
> given up on texlive for now and thought I'd try tetex. Does anyone know
> where I can download tetex? Or is that as difficult as texlive?
>
> Andy

I had a go  recently  at texlive-2009.  I uses these

-------FOR SOURCEcodePrep
tar xvJf  texlive-20091107-source.tar.xz
tar xvJf  texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz
cd into texlive-20091107-source

------ FORconfigure
configure options accepted:
sh configure \
CC="gcc $BUILD64 -fPIC" \
CXX="g++  $BUILD64 -fPIC"  \
--prefix=/somehere/in/greenland \
--x-includes=$XORG_PREFIX/include \
--x-libraries=$XORG_PREFIX/lib \
--disable-pdfopen \
--disable-ps2eps \
--disable-luatex  \
--disable-lcdf-typetools \
--disable-dvi2tty  \
--disable-ttf2pk  \
--disable-cjkutils  \
--disable-detex \
--with-tex-banner="put/your/banner/here" \
--with-gs=/usr/bin \
--with-gnu-ld  \
--with-x

then make
and make install

The installed stuff occupied  ~80 mbytes however texinfo stuff  was not
supported.  I dont know if this has changed in texlive-2010   (in all 8gigs of
it in SVN !)

sincerely
luxInteg