On 16:59, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:31:06 -0700
> TW <twilliams...@elp.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> I got it to work, but, I had to gzip the iso file and then save it
>> to the USB stick.
>

>   Telly,
>
> But you should not have had to do that if the file size is less than the
> amount of free space on the drive. (Also, from your original post, I
> thought you were trying to copy *from* the flash drive.) You can call
> the command df when the drive is mounted to see how much space you have.
>
> You should be able to fill the free space without error. One thing to
> check is the amount of "secure area" on that flash drive and try setting
> it to zero if it is not already zero. I don't know how to do this under
> Linux, but there are utilities (which often are provided with the drive
> or at the manufacturer's web site) which can set the secure area size
> under MS Windows:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/7026
>
> http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/partitionp.jsp

        Hi, gentlemen:

        Sorry if I "jump into the bandwagon" (i.e, thread :) ) rather late now,
but I think the condition the OP faced probably has a simpler explanation.

        Apart from all valid comments made, hardware-wise or otherwise, I
suspect strongly that problem is a simple software limitation.

        Ordinarily USB mass memory devices come formatted with a FAT32 file
system, and NO single file in this FS can be greater than 2 GB.

        The problem compounds by the fact that the operating system error
message generally doesn't give a clue to the real reason beneath the
hood, but misleads with "disk full" error message or to that effect.

        The OP can check the FS present in his device by using, for example,
the 'blkid' command. If it is "vfat" then the limitation applies.

        HTH.

        Cheers,
        Richard