Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> two small comments: 1.) Chapter 19 of the book, Apache-2.2.21. The
> script installation shall be "make install-httpd"  and not "make
> install-apache"

The Makefile in blfs is in conflict.  It has

install-httpd:
and
uninstall-apache:

But the bootscript is indeed httpd.  I'll fix both the book and the
Makefile to make everything consistent.

> 2.) Chapter 21 MySQL-5.5.17 MySQL builds normal and installs,
> however, it doesnt start ! I do not know if  uncommenting in
> /etc/my.cnf the lines concerning InnoDB will do the business, as I
> prefered to stay with the old version MySQL-5.1.52, which started
> withouth any change. Anyway, it may be a bug ( google shows some
> contributions ) or a lack of configuration. If the last is true, the
> book should perhaps give a hint.

We can add more info, but additional info is needed.  The my.cnf file
looks like the data below and it starts fine.  If I know the symptoms,
log file entries, etc, perhaps we can figure out what the problem is.

Note that the current startup script has

  mkdir -p /run/mysql
  chown mysql.mysql /run/mysql

to ensure the directory for the socket is available since
we have /var/run -> /run

   -- Bruce

[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

skip-external-locking

key_buffer_size         = 16M
max_allowed_packet      = 1M
table_open_cache        = 64