> Several things puzzle me about this:
>
> 1. What uses it ? (I haven't looked at gnome-extras, or even all of
> the core packages, only enough to build a desktop with the apps I
> use).

Sorry, I don't keep logs (like you do) so I can't remember exactly. I
remember something complaining that I hadn't got it installed, but I don't
think it was obligatory.

> 2. Wayne said it was ok on LFS-6.8. Gentoo are using it without any
> patches. So : what has changed ?
>
> I see it is now at 5.14. Looks like more testing for me ;-)

Version 5.14 gives me the same error,  viz.
mk-agen-texi FAILED: Cannot locate libopts.a

I can patch 5.14 and see if it works. If it does, I'll send you the patch.
Some of the line numbers in the SUSE patch don't accord with the latest version.

> 3. Most puzzling for me, is how did you find this patch ? (google is
> increasingly useless for matching package/version/error-message
> these days, particularly when the package name matches many other
> usages). This is the first time I've managed to access
> anything from opensuse, and I still can't find a quick way to search
> for a package there, but I suppose I've got a start now, so thanks.

I googled: Cannot locate libopts.a

Some of the Gnome 3 stuff seems pretty flaky. For e.g. I can't get
gnome-terminal
to work reliably. Also some of the replacements for Gnome-Utilities don't work
for me. And you've already had an encounter with totem - mes condoleances.

jb.