>> I think by vim you mean the text editor: Roger - I'll check it out.
>> I think less is more... more learning. I don't know how to use less yet.
>>
> Once less is set up correctly (used to need LESSCHARSET, not sure
>if I'm still using that), '/' works for forward search, \ (backslash
>and space) for a space within what you are looking for. Like vim,
>but without the syntax highlighting (if you turned that on in vim).

I think between you and FireRat - I get the impression I should
master both VIM and LESS.

>> Yes, 1.11.2 Yup. YOu think I should maybe just TRY without dbus and
>> hal? (not sure I remember those names but I'll grep em) If your
>> configure
>> path works, I LIKE IT :)
>>

> I'm building with
>./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
> --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/X11/modules \
> --disable-config-hal --disable-config-dbus \
> --enable-install-setuid
>
> I mentioned it because it wasn't immediately obvious to me which of
>the tests include this package (it's part of $REQUIRED_MODULES which
>gets added to all over the place).
>
> Seems unlikely that this will make the difference, but who knows.
>It's probably still going to be quicker to look in config.log if you
>have it.
>
>ĸen

Never know, it's a cheap test.

FireRat's recommending I go through all my code - he suspects an issue
there.

Also I must say, the config log has many errors in it. (And I delete
directory
between tries). The errors I have read so far look like errors in
xorgserver
itself. Like: missing ) in line 203 of contdef.h

Point is I am having trouble finding my error and one of the many that
are simply in there. I don't know whether that's par for course or a
sign
of things gone wrong further up the chain which would validate FireRat's

suspicions.

I was so happy thinking I was going to have a GUI today... Not yet...
I won't give up :) And I'll encourage all who try - you learn a lot
going through these books!

--Jason