I did the steps from Linux-PAM once more, this time I did get the right
symlinks in /usr/lib. I realy don't understand what I did wrong, it must
have been a typo. I think I should have just taken a break a bit earlier.

Combined with changing libdir='/lib64' into libdir='/usr/lib64' in
/usr/lib64/libpam{,c,_misc}.la this solved the issue.

Thanks for pointing in the right direction.