I'm working my way through the gnome3/extra libraries and apps that
I haven't built, before I add them to the book.  Gnome-power-manager
is giving me grief.  It now uses upower, but there seems to be a
problem.  If I run gnome-power-stats on my desktop, it starts up ok,
but produces a window showing only a processor item at the left,
with a tab for Wakeups which reports 'Processor wakeups per second:
cannot enable timerstats'.  If I move it, the window doesn't get
repainted where other windows have overlapped it.  The close button
works, but upowerd is left running, using not-insignificant amounts
of CPU.  The only result on google for that error message was in
italian, and I had the impression it was just one error along
someone's path and the solution, if any, was not mentioned.

 This is a desktop, and all the gnome-power-manager debugging
articles I can find in google seem to be about s2ram/s2disk.  I
don't intend to do either, but FWIW the test commands I found seem
to indicate that both upowerd and polkit are working ok (both types
of shutdown are reported as false for a user, at least one is
reported as true for root, i.e.
pkcheck --action-id org.freedesktop.upower.suspend --process $$;
echo $?

 I suspect this is either a kernel config problem, although ACPI is
enabled and I'm not even using a tickless kernel (CONFIG_HZ_250=y),
or perhaps upower actually needs pm-utils at runtime, even on a
desktop ?  Any pointers to getting this to work would be welcome.
Or do I just add a 'builds on LFS-7.0 but doesn't work' tag ? (joke)

ĸen