>On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 21:39:54 +0100
>Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 03:27:23PM -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:50:25 +0100
> > Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > > i.e. it (slowly: the file is on a local disk) fills the
> > > buffer, plays the buffer, then waits while it refills the
> > > buffer.
> >
> > I doubt this is the problem, especially on a new machine,
> > but in the past issues like this were a symptom that DMA
> > mode was not enabled for the drive(s) in question. Are
> > you sure the kernel is enabling DMA I/O for the DVD and
> > the HD?
> >
>  The disk is SATA, so using libata.  All the googling I did in the
> past suggests DMA is always on with libata for SATA devices (but see
> below).
> > BTW, is there a way to check for a drive's DMA mode in
> > /proc on the newer (/dev/sda using) kernels? (In the old
> > days it was in /proc/ide, but all that is routed through
> > the scsi i/o system today.)
>
>  I haven't found one.  'hdparm -t' reports > 112 MB/sec for the
> disk, so I think DMA is definitely in use.  However, it only reports
> between 2 and 3 MB/sec for the DVD drive on /dev/sr0.  BUT, that
> plays fine (with minimal cpu load) if I use vlc without the DVD
> menus, and similarly plays fine in xine.  The wait for the buffer to
> fill was on the hard disk.
>
> ĸen

Sounds to me like a problem with VLC.

Perhaps you should focus on it. Maybe a different version, some
changes in configure switches... or maybe some of the underlying
libraries? It has been a long time since I last compiled or used VLC so
I don't remember what things it links to.

If it uses one of the libdvd* packages, maybe the problem is in that
direction, especially if Xine does that part differently (Xine is also
ancient history with me).

--
   Fourth law of programming:
   Anything that can go wrong wi