Bruce:
> /var/run should be a symlink to /run so /run/dbus is created
> and is equivalent to /var/run/dbus.
> Check the symlink and then see if you still have the problems.

Aw, snap!
Asleep at the wheel, I missed the big announcement for old (B)LFS users that
it is strongly recommended the regular /var/run/ directory be deleted
and a "/var/run" symlink set up to point to /run instead  :)

Please skip to the conclusions at the end (after Simon's section below).

Simon:
> The dbus system (as opposed to session) daemon should never be run from
> a normal user account - it would almost certainly fail to work correctly
> if not run with root privileges.
> What are the normal permissions on that file, when Chrome fails to talk
> to it?

CONCLUSIONS
Happiness all around.
Once I deleted the old sucker (/var/run/) and set up the
 /var/run -> /run
and using Bruce's latest dbus script in its pure and unadulterated form,
_everything_ fell into place perfectly:

1.  Latest Chrome (which lately works again, for some other reasons)
is now thrilled with the new "system" D-BUS.  No more bitching.

2.  The dbus script itself works in all circumstances (that I can think of).

3.  Mostly for Simon, as noted in my OP, Chrome would not behave
(cleanly) before,
unless I did those two foolish (and unlawful) changes in dbus script.

For the record, and to answer the question directly, the "new" dbus is:
 ls -l /var/run/dbus
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 2012-04-29 12:55 pid
 srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2012-04-29 12:55 system_bus_socket

built by
 ps ax | grep dbus
  514 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
invoked in the dbus script.
(of course,
 ls -l /run/dbus/
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 2012-04-29 12:55 pid
 srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2012-04-29 12:55 system_bus_socket)

Thank you guys for your interest and help,
-- Alex