Hello,

Warning:   the following might be interesting (if at all)
because of its hidden (and subtle) punch line.
Other than that, not necessarily worth reading and/or considering.

As we all know, the major event of the year happened this weekend
when Chrome exceeded IE usage (even if for a fleeting moment -
however, the trend is there.  Firefox slid to third, they say.)

Be that as it may, I assume the comparison was made on the basis of
the apples to apples principle, i.e., Windows to Windows (to Windows).

As the Linux world is fading more and more into irrelevance (sorry for
hurting some people's feelings with this "disclosure"), I'm listing
a couple of personal experiences that, to me, never bode well for
Linux development and success.

1.  A paranoid behavior to never admit mistakes;  probably for
fear that an imaginary enemy (Microsoft?) might use the news to their
advantage.

The main example is the kernel.org (and others) recent lengthy outage
which elicited nary a discouraging word.
Hush hush in the Linux community, disappointing indifference in the
other "communities".

Here, some of my small and humble encounters with the sickenish
reluctance to admit a mistake, only to quietly correct it later:

- The Bug 646150 (bugzilla.mozilla.org) regarding the obvious
crashes of Firefox-4.0.  Quietly (and 100%) fixed in the
following release, 4.0.1.

- The Bug 128177 (code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list) where
Chrome (yes, _that_ "weekend" Chrome - but the Linux variant)
just crashes _consistently_ at a certain URL, and occasionally
during some other activities (harder to pinpoint and _document_).
About a week after the report, the newer version(s) no longer crash
consistently; just occasionally during some other activities
(harder to pinpoint and document:).
The (Linux) world will never know that Chrome would simply
hard crash at this day and age.
The Bug report will slowly and quietly fade off into the sunset
without any comments/resolution - of value.

2.  The sloppy programming, evidenced in dealing with the above
Chrome releases.  Not worth getting into details.
Here at least, there's a much simple explanation and frankly
understandable excuse.
The centuries-old tendency of programmers (especially those with
any brains at all) to drift toward where the action is and away from
losing ventures.

I could safely add to this paragraph the appalling state of quality control
and of understanding and handling Bug reports.  But enough ranting.

Cheers,
-- Alex