On 06/29/2012 12:44 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:29:41AM +0800, Omar wrote:
>> Just attachment of this mail.
>>
>   If you need to compress a large file to attach it, use a linux
> compressor - 99% of people here cannot open rar files.  In this
> case, I don't think we need it.

Luckily I had unrar installed when I updated it in the book, but I am
strongly against using it in Linux based stuff. Zip could be ok since
most of us may already have it if building mozilla products or such, but
not rar.

>>> Thank you all.
>>> 1. My environment is based on LFS7.1 on VMware.
>
>   Google thinks you need the correct options when building Mesa.
> According to debian bug 652501 you need the svga gallium driver.
> That driver is enabled in the book's instructions for Mesa.
>
> ĸen

To be more specific, you need gallium svga driver AND libxatracker
(--enable-xa in Mesa instructions). That is already enabled in default
Mesa instructions in BLFS, and Xorg VMware driver will pick it up. But,
you need vmwgfx kernel driver, which is now in the place as the other
DRM drivers in kernel, but is in staging area in pre 3.3 kernels. It is
not enabled by default tough in any case. And the last point is ... Your
host system needs to have working 3D stuff. On windows host, any
DirectX9 capable card should work very well, including some newer i915,
possibly r200 ones and geforce4 or better. ones. I had hard time getting
3D acceleration to work on Linux hosts and Intel card. It wouldn't be of
any problem with propretary ATI or NVidia, but since intel is open
source, and VMware player needs s3tc GL extension which is patented by
SIS so Mesa devs can't integrate it in Mesa source tree. There is
however external library at freedesktop.org for that, and I just got
that last night after few months of giving up on 3d in vmware! I guess
same thing would be needed for open source radeon and nouveau drivers.

Also, for good 3D support, you need at least Player 4.0 or Workstation
8.0. There is some 3D support in Player 3.1/Workstation 7.1, but not
that good.