My current system is working pretty well, but I have a few niggles.
This is the first : when I play a DVD in vlc, it plays in bursts,
with pauses between.  That is, it plays for a little while, then
reads the next part of the disk.  This makes it unusable.

 In the vlc there is mention of using hdparm to turn on DMA - ah,
the old days before libata, when the CD/DVD drive was /dev/hdX.
Trying that on /dev/sr0 is, of course a no go [ invalid ioctl for
device : I did actually try it ].

 Has anyone managed to play a DVD (using the kernel's  libata
drivers) with vlc ?

 In case anyone asks - xine works fine for doing this, but I'd like
to see if an app using ffmpeg does it differently.

ĸen