On 07/08/2012 02:37 AM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 07/08/2012 04:53 AM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>> Anybody have an idea of how to allow a regular user (as a member of a
>> dedicated group) to modify a wired connection's configuration? With the
>> config file I've added to the BLFS Wiki (well, similar to that one, I've
>> divided it up as I had suggested),
>> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/NetworkManager I'm able to
>> enable and disable the connections, but I cannot edit settings using the
>> gnome nm applet on wired connections. I'm sure I'm missing something
>> simple, but can't for the life of me find it. I've tried various changes
>> to policies with no change. Also, clicking network settings from the
>> tray does nothing...I have to open nm-connection-manager manually.
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> Does it work? It looks to me like something I found in Debian not so
> long ago, but I've noticed that network manager will work without that.
> However, you need to make sure about two things: polkit-gnome MUST be
> running. Probably the reason why you can't edit connections, because it
> would require polkit authentification agent to be running. Another main
> reason is that your session needs to be registered with consolekit and
> also marked as active (I suggest using Linux PAM there, since I don't
> know any other way).
>
> $ ck-list-sessions
> Session2:
>       unix-user = '1000'
>       realname = 'Armin K'
>       seat = 'Seat1'
>       session-type = ''
>       active = TRUE
>       x11-display = ':0'
>       x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
>       display-device = ''
>       remote-host-name = ''
>       is-local = TRUE
>       on-since = '2012-07-08T06:55:14.236487Z'
>       login-session-id = '2'
>
> My session is started via GDM, so x11-display-device is /dev/tty7. You
> might get different output there, but you need to make sure that active
> = TRUE and is-local = TRUE is really present, or you will be unable to
> do any "administrative" stuff.

There it is. I'm not using gdm so the x attributes aren't set. active =
FALSE. Gnome only needs to be started by gnome-session in .xinitrc,
thanks to the PAM configuration you added (dbus-lauch
--exit-with-session is no longer required), however, I do not see
polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 in ps output. That'll give me
something to work from, however.

Thanks!

-- DJ Lucas