On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 03:33:37PM +0100, Alan Bray wrote:
> Hope someone can help with this:-
> Just installed xorg-7.7-1 and get the following
>
> Using system config directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
>
> Backtrace
>   0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x49) [0x81c0ae9]
>   1: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x17c43a) [0x81c443a]
>   2: (vdso) (__kernel_rt_sigreturn+0x0) [0xb782240c]
>
>   Segmentation fault address (nil)

 Just went to my other mail address, noted nobody had replied.  Do
you have an actual problem ?  About 50% of the times I close my
windowmanager by using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I get a similar trace
(although, I think it is usually longer, more like 8 steps).

 If this is a real problem (i.e. X crashes before it starts), have
you captured anything that was reported on stderr, or did you just
run 'startx > somelog' and then report what was in that log ?

 I've seen all sorts of errors which have caused xorg to fail to
start, and sometimes I've misinterpreted them, e.g. the (EE) message
from failing to load vesafb has blinded me to a later real error
that caused the problem, but I don't recall seeing *any* without a
rather more descriptive message.

 You seem to be following a null pointer - I've done that myself in
X, but only on a minority architecture, with a new version of the
server.  Are you doing something different from what is common, or
from what is in the book ?  /usr/bin/X implies you built everything
with a prefix of /usr, which is normal, but best to ask!  Have you
had any other problems on this machine ? - if your DRAM decides to
fail, memtest86 can usually spot it.

ĸen