On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 00:00:01 -0600
blfs-support-requ...@linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

>  If you compiled it into the kernel, instead of as a module, I would
> suggest that all you need to do is add "vga=XXX" to the boot args :
> for me, vga=792.  If it works, you get one or more penguins during
> the boot.
>
>  You might also need to tweak grub.cfg.  I've got the following on
> my server, which uses vesafb [ for some reason, I couldn't get
> radeonfb working there - perhaps related to grub, but once I got
> vesafb working it was adequate for that box ], first two lines are
> just for context.  Grub moans about this, but still works (1.98 is
> installed there, I s'pose 2.0 might have broken it) :

I have compiled it as a module. /lib/modules/3.2.6/kernel/video/uvesafb
Yes, I tried the vga way appending in the kernel line in grub.cfg --
vga=0x318, but that's probably the way for vesafb according to the kernel
documentation.
For uvesafb, I added video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,ywrap but its(the module) not
getting loaded.
There's no uvesafb specific msgs in the dmesg output. I also compiled v86d with
--with-x86emu; but no sure if its
being used at all. The homepage for uvesafb:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/ also asks for applying some
kernel
patches to the gentoo source. Not sure if that applies for the pristine kernel
too.

BTW, I also compiled the nvidiafb(I have onboard nvidia gpu) module which was
initially getting loaded during boot, but that gives nothing different than if
I dont load a framebuffer driver.
Also, there's no documentation for it.
Running modinfo on nvidiafb shows it has a parameter allowing to specify the
res. But none of the syntaxes for vesafb or
uvesafb worked for it.

--
DebD <deb...@gmail.com>