Quoting Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>:

> Michael C. Robinson wrote:
>
>> I hope the Gnome people realize that Gnome is getting to be like
>> Windows 98 was back in the day where everyone screamed about Internet
>> Explorer being integrated when they wanted Netscape instead.  I
>> realize that evolution usually comes with Gnome, but I don't need
>> evolution on a system intended for backup/restoration of other
>> systems.
>
> Although I agree with your general statement about integration of
> ancillary programs and libraries, I'll point out that you don't need any
> graphical environment for a 'system intended for backup/restoration of
> other systems'.
>
>     -- Bruce

True, but user friendliness is a goal which suggests that fluxbox at least,
firefox, and possibly a PDF reader are potentially essential.  While I don't
have one in mind, a graphical backup tool like Bru might make sense.  I've
thought about MondoBackup, but it isn't packaged as source tarballs that
are generic to any Linux system.  If I decide to use Mondo which uses cpio I
believe in the background, I'll have to get on the Mondo support list.

I should point out that I have email on my network where one of the functions
on top of backup/restoration of local systems I want is the ability to check
that email.  To that end, my network has the Horde framework set up on a local
web page.  Hence the need for firefox.

Aside from adding some sort of PDF reader I'm thinking about adding
Libreoffice
for people who want to keep a log of what they've done/what is in the last
backup they did.  Libreoffice is overkill, but it is the standard for the
local network as a whole and something that everyone I'm putting this system
together for is comfortable with.

The ideal for backup/restoration is an easy to understand graphical
backup tool
that you set up quickly, you tell it to go, and you wait briefly for the task
to be completed.  The more complicated backup/restoration becomes, the
less likely
people are to make backups or restore systems.

For user friendliness, Windows users and the computer illiterate may
have to use this system, a graphical backup package is a goal of mine.