Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> Dave wrote:
>
>> unfortunately the LFS docs assume if you have wifi then you have wired.
>> They only covered Dynamic addressing. I only have WEP security access
>> here. WGET works, that's why I stopped there.
>> They seem the skip the "no-wired & Wifi" option, This system, (not a
>> laptop), will have limited dedicated use.  (audio vinyl to mp3)
>>

>> Even though I have to initiate the  network with an iwconfig wlan0 essid
>>    ---  enc ---), and then ifup wlan0.   It does start the network that way
>> As for the "/etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.*" It wouldn't acknowledge the file
>> was there,(ifconfig.wlan0).
>>
>>    I modified the /etc/init.d/network.
>> -----------
>> case "${1}" in
>>      start)
>>         # Start all network interfaces
>> #      for file in /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.*
>> #      do
>> #         interface=${file##*/ifconfig.}
>> #
>> #         # Skip if $file is * (because nothing was found)
>> #         if [ "${interface}" = "*" ]
>> #         then
>> #            continue
>> #         fi
>> #
>> #         /sbin/ifup ${interface}
>> #      done
>>           /usr/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid AUBE enc 9897271076
>> #
>>           /sbin/ifup wlan0
>>             ;;
>>
>> ---------
>> I did similar for the stop command.    Now I can issue 'network start'
>> and the network starts as expected.  I can ping and wget without dhcp,
>> ntpdate,samba and ssh work without it. which makes me ask "Is dhcp
>> necessary on a machine with a static IP that
>> only uses the one access point.
>>
>> Where would I insert a 'network start' command without having to log
>> in? (headless, I believe they call it).
>
> It could be done automatically or manually depending on ONBOOT.  What's
> needed is a new script to handle wifi. I can't do it because I do not
> have the hardware to do the proper debugging.
>
> However, the consistent way to approach it would be to have
> ifconfig.wlan be something like:
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> IFACE=wlan0
> SERVICE=wifi
> ESSID=AUBE
> KEY=9897271076
>
> The sequence of scripts is:
>    /etc/init.d/network
>    /sbin/ifup (ifdown)
>    /lib/services/<service>
>
> All these use the environment variables in ifconfig.*.
>
> There would need to be a script, /lib/services/wifi, to handle bringing
> the interface up and down.  See, for example, /lib/services/ipv4-static
> as an example.
>
> Your workaround is an example of the power of open source.
>
>    -- Bruce

--------------
  ONBOOT=yes
  IFACE=wlan0
  SERVICE=wifi
  ESSID=AUBE
  KEY=9897271076

changed SERVICE=ipv4-static
I still had to have the /etc/init.d/network  file with the
modifications. starts up on its own now..
I'll dig into it more later on, after I get KDE-trinity going.

Thanks for the help..
maybe this will end up in LFS book when done.

Dave