How to build Weston, the Wayland compositor on LFS-Systemd 20130215

libffi-3.0.11 - blfs

xkeyboard-config-2.8 - ./configure --prefix=/usr
--with-xkb-rules-symlink=xorg --disable-runtime-deps

libxkbcommon-0.2.0 - ./configure --prefix=/usr

mtdev-1.1.3 - blfs

libjpeg-8d - ijg libjpeg - ./configure --prefix=/usr (libjpeg-turbo from
blfs can be used too, but it needs nasm)

libpng-1.5.14 - blfs

pixman-0.28.2 - blfs

freetype-2.4.11 - blfs

fontconfig-2.10.2 - blfs

cairo-1.12.14 - ./configure --prefix=/usr

libpciaccess-0.13.1 - ./configure --prefix=/usr

libdrm-2.4.42 - sed "/pthread-stubs/d" -i configure.ac ; autoreconf -fi
; ./configure --prefix=/usr

wayland git - ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-documentation

weston git - ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/weston
--disable-egl --disable-xwayland --disable-xwayland-test
--disable-x11-compositor --disable-weston-launch
CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libdrm" LDFLAGS="-ldrm"
WESTON_NATIVE_BACKEND=fbdev-backend.so

dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.33 - mkdir -pv /usr/share/fonts ; mv ttf
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu ; fc-cache /usr/share/fonts/dejavu

as root

# install -dm700 /tmp/wayland
# export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/wayland

run weston as root:

# weston

Currently only works as root because weston-launch helper that allows
weston to run as normal user needs Linux-PAM.

Sources for non-blfs marked packages above:
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/data/xkeyboard-config/xkeyboard-config-2.8.tar.bz2
http://xkbcommon.org/download/libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.bz2
http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v8d.tar.gz
http://cairographics.org/releases/cairo-1.12.14.tar.xz
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/lib/libpciaccess-0.13.1.tar.bz2
http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/libdrm-2.4.42.tar.bz2
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/wayland.tar.xz (or git master
checkout)
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/weston.tar.xz (or git master c
heckout)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/files/dejavu/2.33/dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.33.tar.bz2

Wayland and Weston 1.0.5 can't be used because they don't have fbdev
backend and require EGL (Mesa).

Freetype, Fontconfig and Dejavu fonts can be ommited, but you will get
ugly fonts.

My guess is that it can be built on standard LFS, too. It would need
Expat, XML::Parser and Intltool from what I know.

Why? Useful for people who build their software in VT but don't really
like it (like me). Terminal is really nice in Weston. There are some
demos in clients directory in weston source.

It's definitely smaller than Xorg, requires more or less the same deps
(well, maybe minus libffi and mtdev in some cases + Cairo (which is
essential in modern X software)).

It needs a fbdev driver - be it drmfb or whatever. drmfb drivers are
provided by KMS drivers (i915, nouveau, radeon and vmwgfx). I've tested
it with vmwgfx - VMware Virtual Graphics Driver. I built LFS Systemd in
a VM.

If you are going for X, you might need to rebuild Cairo later.

What else? A screenshot!
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/weston-screenshot.png

I hope someone will find this useful.